Skip to main content

Meeting my team of Doctors

We decided that we would travel to Nashville and go through the Sarah Cannon Cancer Center.  My first visit was with my surgeon,  Dr. Cooper.  This is when we learned more information about my Cancer, Triple Negative Breast Cancer is the diagnosis.  FYI I quickly learned not to google it, yikes. 

I have a team of doctors with over 100 years experience so we are very happy with the care that I will receive.  It was decided the best course of action is to do Chemotherapy first then surgery.  So I was referred to my oncologist Dr. Hamilton.  And MRI was ordered as well.

So remember back in June we were doing a lot of waiting, well, now things started moving and moving fast.  Met with Dr. Hamilton on a Wednesday and a treatment plan was developed.  Went that Friday to have my port put in and started CHEMO on Monday, August 29th.

My Treatment Plan:

  1. 12 weeks of CHEMO (every Monday to Nashville we go)
  2. have an MRI to see how the spot is responding
  3. 12 more weeks of CHEMO (1 time every 3 weeks)
  4. discuss surgery options 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Sister is Not a Barber

I was told that I would lose my hair.  My sister quickly jumped in to help take some control of this crazy situation. She consulted with her daughter, Ashley, who is a fantastic beautician. Ashley was on it and found a company that makes wigs form your own hair, if you have enough.  If you know me you know I had a TON of hair.  So Judy booked a flight and came to TN Labor Day Weekend to hug my neck and cut my hair.  It was a family affair.  Lyle, the boys, and Judy set up our living room and Ashley, Taylor and Brandon joined us via facetime.  It was very emotional, but rewarding that I had control of how I was going to lose my hair. We packaged the hair up, and Judy took it home with her.  Too funny that she was worried about going through airport security with my hair.  Man it is a good thing they didn't stop her, she would have lost it. So my hair has been shipped off, and I should have a wig in about 10-12 weeks (in time for the holidays)....

When it comes up!

Once I knew it was cancer, I didn’t care who knew.  If I saw you in person, I probably told you.  But I didn’t post on Facebook, because I still don’t want my mom to worry.  I asked Lyle if he had told anyone, and he said NO not yet, he was waiting until it came up.  And my response was “when would it come up in conversation that I have cancer” we both laughed about that.  FYI, Lyle is a pretty private person, so this has not been easy on him. But I know the more people that know the more prayers and good vibes I will have, which is what I need right now.  

The Wig!

Finally, someone recognized me in public!  I received my wig back in November and put it on right away.  It was my hair but not my style, no bangs. I have had bangs for 14+ years.  So, the plan was for my niece to style it in December when we went to visit mom in Florida.  Well guess what, I didn’t get to go since I was feeling crummy.  Such is life, so my sister quickly scheduled flights for her and Ashley to come to TN for the long MLK holiday weekend.  My kitchen turned into a beauty shop, and everyone agreed that the wig needed bangs.  Ashley prepped the wig for the cut.  The plan was to go slow and steady and not cut too much, because there is no turning back once THE cut happens.  With a plan of action, we were ready to go, and we all held our breath during the first cut of the scissors.  It was crazy!  After that first snip to add bangs, I looked in the mirror and wow what a difference.  She made a few adjustments an...